The idea behind 10% Kent is simple,
keeping the benefits of the money you spend in the county we live in!
We want to:
- Encourage you to buy locally produced food & drink as part of your regular weekly/monthly shopping pattern.
- Encourage buyers and managers in procurement to buy local as part of their food /drink buying decisions
- Encourage not preach -be part of making a difference in Kent
- Use the online directory on this website
- Ask for a copy of Kent’s Finest
- Check out local farmers’ markets
- Use online ordering / veg box schemes
- Look for Kent labels on food in bigger retailers
- Use you local butcher / greengrocer / baker etc
- Check the menus when you are eating out and ask for local
- Look for the Produced in Kent logo
Some useful facts:
Every £1 spent locally generates £1.76 for the local economy compared to just 36p when spent in a major retailer*.
The average family spends £54.80 on food and non-alcoholic drinks **
If an average family spent £55 a week on food & drink and they switched just 10% of this to local suppliers, that would lead to an estimated extra £175m a year being spent in Kent ***
*New Economics Foundation
** Office for National Statistics 2012 Household Expenditure
*** based on Kents 2011 census figures 1,466,500 population, average household of 2.37 persons equates to 618,776 households.