AWARD WINNING TONBRIDGE BAKERY STRIKES AGAIN TO CEMENT ITS POSITION ON THE HIGH STREET AS A FOODIE FAVOURITE
The Bakehouse at 124 has been growing from strength to strength with an increasing award tally and the completion of the restoration of its historic awnings.
- Great Taste Awards – entering for the first time, the Bakehouse won three Great Taste one-star awards and when only 38% of entries are accredited, it isn’t surprising they’re known as the “Oscars” of the food and drink world!
- Tiptree World Bread Awards – three further awards won
- Real Bread Campaign Ambassador – Clare Barton, owner and head baker has been named as one of only 21 Real Bread Campaign Ambassadors in the World. A real acknowledgement to her success and recognition of her baking knowledge and passion.
- Historic Victorian Awnings restored – With support from customers crowdfunding and the Tonbridge & Malling Borough Council shop frontages grant, the Victorian awnings on the Grade Two* Listed Building of the Bakehouse have been fully restored to their former glory.
“We’ve had an incredibly busy few months, that it’s meant we haven’t had time to tell everyone about our achievements”, Clare Barton explains. “We are delighted to have the Victorian awnings restored and extremely grateful to our customers who donated through our crowdfunding campaign and Tonbridge and Malling Borough Council for the Commercial Frontage Grant”.
Liz Reid, manager added, “professionally receiving the award results after everyone had worked so hard gave us all such a buzz. But to see Clare named as a Real Bread Campaign Ambassador was just brilliant, and so inspiring to the whole team, a well-deserved accolade”.
The Bakehouse at 124 entered three products into the Great Taste Awards and all three were given a one-star award. The products consisted of:
- Blackberry, Goats Cheese and Fennel Seed Sourdough with berries that had been foraged from the local countryside
- Cinnamon buns
- Dizzy’s Lemon Drizzle Cake
Following on from its success in 2018 the Bakehouse once again won three further Tiptree World Bread awards in 2019:
- Bronze for 100% Wholemeal
- Bronze for Turmeric Sourdough
- Silver for Orange Focaccia
Set up in 2008, the Real Bread Campaign is the leading UK charity promoting bread made without any artificial additives, and with an estimated 12 million loaves sold everyday in the UK the bread industry is booming. The role of the ambassador is to be a vocal champion for Real Bread and to inspire people to bake bread at home. Clare runs regular bread making classes and actively encourages customers to come into the open plan bakery at the Bakehouse to watch and ask questions whilst the team are baking.