24th February 2021
A comforting classic. this recipe ticks the seasonal box as well as being healthy, filling and cheap to make. Local Kent potatoes are available all year, leeks from October to May.
Potato and Leek Soup
• 1 tbsp vegetable oil
• 1 onion, sliced
• 225g/8oz potatoes (Desiree or Melody work well), cubed
• 2 medium leeks, sliced
• 1.2 litres/2 pints Vegetable stock
• 150ml/5fl oz double cream or low fat crème fraiche
• salt and freshly ground black pepper
1. Heat the oil in a large pan, add the onions and then the potatoes and leeks. Cook for 3-4 minutes until starting to soften.
2. Add the vegetable stock and bring to the boil. Season well and simmer until the vegetables are tender.
3. Whizz with a hand blender or in a liquidiser until smooth.
4. Reheat in a clean pan, stir in the cream or crème fraiche, heat through and serve.
Mentioned in this post
We work with the very best growers in the Garden of England, supplying superb potatoes all year round to local wholesalers and retailers - in Kent and beyond.